Friday, December 12, 2008

The Girl




The Girl With Head In Hand (1st image) was an image I drew while in high school. It came to represent what would be the equivalent to a mission statement. My artist's mission statement. A statement on what I was using art to do; to explore why I thought I was so different from everyone else and why I thought everyone else was so different from me. Why am I not like all the other girls? At that point in my life I used art to explore my psyche in relationship to everyone else. Now so many years later I find that I am using art in a different way or perhaps it is that I am now able or evolved enough to use it in a different way. 

The Girl With Hand In Head (2nd image) represents my new artist's mission statement, an exploration of how the creative thought process works. Instead of holding the world at a distance and trying to figure it all out, I can now let it slam me in the back of the head and come out my eyeballs and onto the canvas and then work to figure it out from there. 

My personal struggle has evolved over time from an emotion one to an intellectual one and my art work is a reflection of that. 




No comments: