Sunday, August 10, 2008

Spring Is Here Whispered The Deer To The Bear

This is another painting that I photographed and documented during the process. This was done in the spring of 2008.


I lay a clear gessoed linen canvas on the floor and spray it with water, then brush the water down. I splatter with ivory black using a stiff brush. I splatter lightly with yellow oxide and make some broad strokes with a fan brush. Then splatter heavily with blue. I'm looking for something I can work with. Some shape or line with potential. 


I mix hooker's green with water in a spray bottle and spray the canvas. I hold the painting and manipulate the flow of the paint by banging it and moving it around. I sweep parts of the wet canvas with a fan brush. The I see the deer. She will be the beginning. 


I outline the deer and splatter some brown and yellow. 


I need another forest creature. I see the outline of a bear (You can see him above in the previous image). I flesh him out with some red. Then I balance the painting by adding a groundhog beneath one of the mounds in the right corner. I add some green to bring in the feeling of spring. 


The snow melts. Spring arrives. Life emerges from it's long winter rest. Spring is here whispered the deer to the bear. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it, keep going!

Elizabeth said...

Anita,
I am so inspired seeing the process of your paintings coming to life and hearing your thought process as you go! You're showing us the magic as it comes alive for you! Thank you so much and I can't wait for more!
Love, Elizabeth

sabithanne said...

i love this! congratulations, they are all amazing!

Mr. Monster said...

Hey alright, it's good to finally see your art. Keep it up.