Saturday, August 16, 2008

Torch Song


I often begin a painting with something on my mind. I begin this one thinking of the 2008 Olympics. I start with a watered down wash of green and red and I manipulate the flow. 


I drip some more paint and then sit back and look at the results. 



It's surprising to me how I can start a painting with an idea and using drips and manipulation come up with an actual image that represents what's been on my mind. 


I use form and color to build up the image and I look for opportunities to pull symbols out. I give the image a hand and begin to define what I see as a robe. 


I feel like I am exploring the countryside in China in the patterns of her robe. I am looking for more symbols. I find a child for the mother. 


I work on the child. I name this Torch Song as I work. I see the symbolic olympic torch and all the controversy it has brought as a flash in the pan to the long history that is China. 

No comments: